Daprato Rigali History and Timeline

Daprato Rigali Studios, est 1860, pontifical institute of christian art

Company History and Timeline

We are incredibly proud of our long and storied history at Daprato Rigali.  From the early haydays in the 1890’s, through the slower times of the Great Depression and Ecclesiastical re-direction in the wake of Vatican II, we have been through the Ups and Downs of business.  We respect and honor our past and ancestors, and plan to work with the fervor and fortitude in bringing the company into the future.


To anyone that is looking to research more into the extensive history of Daprato Rigali, the Chicago History Museum has an extensive collection of old Daprato materials, catalogues, historical photos, maps, bid sheets, contracts and other records which may be of interest or utility to those interested in the subject of ecclesiastical art.

Daprato Rigali History

  • 1860 – Established in Chicago
  • 1881 – John E. Rigali arrived in Chicago
  • 1889 – John Daprato left the Company due to bad health and settled in Iron Mountain, Michigan
  • 1890 – John E. Rigali made manager
  • 1890 – First Daprato Catalogue published
  • 1893 – John E. Rigali formally elevated to President of Daprato Statuary Company
  • 1893 – Company incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois
  • 1894 – Company moved headquarters to Van Buren and Canal Streets in downtown Chicago, IL
  • 1898 – Catalogue #6 published
  • 1899 – Moved to 766 W. Adams
  • 1904 – New York Branch Opened
  • 1904 – Rigalico composition invented
  • 1905 – First issue of “Ecclesiastical Revew” Published.  Discontinued in 1932.
  • 1909 – Title of “Pontifical Institute of Christian Art” bestowed on Daprato Statuary Company by his Holiness Pope Pius X
  • 1911 – Pietrasanta, Italy Daprato Marble Studio opened
  • 1912 – Art Metal Department and Foundry opened in Chicago
  • 1913 – Orbronze Outdoor Statuary first placed on market
  • 1914 – Daprato Sounding Board invented and patented
  • 1916 – Daprato Treasury Lock Tabernacle placed in market
  • 1917 – Stained Glass Studio established in Jersey City, N. J. (later moved to New York City)
  • 1924 – Daprato Double-Door Tabernacle invented and patented
  • 1924 – Daprato Library of Ecclesiastical Art formally opened and made part of Studios
  • 1925 – Daprato Ball Bearing Hinge for marble covers of Baptismal Fonts devised and patented
  • 1926 – Daprato Rubrical Tabernacle designed and patented
  • 1926 – Eucharistic Congress
  • 1936 – John E. Rigali died February 26th and is buried at the Rigali family tomb at All Saints Cemetary in Des Plaines, Illinois
  • 1936 – John E. Rigali Jr. Assumes Presidency
  • 1938 – G. J. Gaul Resigns
  • 1944 – Lawrence R. Rigali retires
  • 1944-46 – War Work
  • 1955 – Robert Rigali begins working at Daprato following his graduation for Notre Dame University.
  • 1960 – Robert Rigali officially changes name to “Daprato Rigali Studios”, finally encorporating the Rigali name during the 100th Year Anniversary of the Companys founding
  • 1968 – A sizable fire at the Studio destroys nearly 100 years worth of old documents, papers, statue molds, casts and other Sacred Art.
  • 1983 – Robert Rigali’s children begin to work for Daprato Rigali Studios
  • 1987 – Daprato Rigali is tasked with the complete renovation of the Cathedral of the Incarnation in Nashville, Tennessee – The first Cathedral decorated by Daprato since the 40’s.  This event marked a re-emergence in the marketplace for Daprato Rigali.
  • 1990 – Company moves into larger studio on Oakton Avenue in Park Ridge, Illinois
  • 2000 – Company purchases and moves into current building at 6030 N Northwest Hwy in Chicago, Illinois